Thursday, January 12, 2012

Melancholia

At last I found the exact peace of mind that you need to sensually appreciate a movie like Melancholia (2011). After watching it somehow i felt something unique about this movie, I don't exactly explain what that 'something' is or describe it in any way, but what can I say, it was the exact thing i expected from this epic work of Lars Von Trier ,which i hear represents a liaison between Hollywood big budget film and European art house indie films.



First thing I wanna say is pretty obvious to any average movie lovers, the starting part and the ending part have contributed most to the whole movie being an extraordinarily beautiful one. Yes, there are very good pieces of acting done by Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsburg & the most brilliant one, Kieffer Sutherland (seriously his character should have been given at least a chance to grow), but little did they matter. I really enjoyed Kirsten Dunst in so very different character like this and she did pretty well reminding me how i felt about her when I watched Eternal Sunshine of A Spotless Mind (2004) and thought she should do some real movie leaving the Spider-man lady image. The bathing scene must be the scene where positive viewers enjoyed the most and negative viewers (who hate the movie before even seeing it) hated the most. The scene tells us a lot about the story than any other scene in the movie, it exhibits the nature of the perpetual depression in Justine and how anyone, doesn't matter how close they are, cannot help her or understand her pain. Another beautiful scene apart from the starting and ending is Justine lying naked in the jungle and when that supernatural light falls on her I experienced the best nude scene in my movie viewing history. Many people say that some weird depressed face and emotional outbursts don't make her capable of getting the best actress award but from my point of view, she totally understood what her character represents and she portrayed it well enough to be considered as beautiful and that's why she deserves the award.

Now I have to admit that I haven't watched any of Trier's work with so much concentration and calm mind before Melancholia. I am a big fan of European art films specially Scandinavian directors, if not for them movie would not so firmly grown as a strong and effective art form as it is now. I cannot possibly talk about how Roy Andersson's films changed the whole idea of movies to me, it was like a life-changing experience. With Lars Von Trier working in Hollywood, I expected something truly universal and masterwork from him. And he didn't disappoint me even a little bit. After Dancer In The Dark (2000) and Antichrist (2009), expectations grew higher and when he managed to grab a big budget project, they were just skyrocketing. If you make a list of most talked about movies of 2011, I am sure Melancholia will top many's.The number of outstandingly memorable frames Melancholia graced us with, are enough to satisfy the hunger of true art-seeking souls. Besides, the story, plot even the acting easily qualify for calling the movie epic.



The movie, without any doubt worthy of it's name and fame both. I really hope a movie like this getting the Academy Best Picture award and setting an example that should have been set a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment